We just had braised beef tendon for dinner today. It was kinda salty, so I needed something sweet to balance the saltiness. I decided to make agar milk cake.
Agar is made from red algae. If you are a vegan, you absolutely can substitute gelatin with algar. I will show you how to make 100% vegan agar milk cake. However, agar cake has different texture than gelatinous cake. Gelatinous cake is more jelly while agar cake is harder. It is firmer, more crispy (well not crispy like potato chips). I prefer using agar than gelatin because agar becomes solid more quickly than gelatin so it saves me time to decorate the cake. If you wonder what I mean by saving decorating time, I will show you how to do that in another post (BUT not 3D decoration like Japanese agar cake. It is way to hard for a clumsy girl like me. Besides, we need tools for that, just like you need decorating tips for your cake.)
It is enough for babbling. Let’s get to work !(•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑
– 1 package of agar powder (25g – 0.88oz per package). You can find it in most Chinese or Vietnamese supermarket. If they do not sell it in your area, you can buy it on Amazon. The price on Amazon is similar to the price in the supermarket. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Product-Thailand-Powder-Ounce/dp/B01KMHY2OU/ref=pd_sim_325_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01KMHY2OU&pd_rd_r=C8N2Q3RB5TNVWPM4GBYP&pd_rd_w=8igxk&pd_rd_wg=qoEqT&psc=1&refRID=C8N2Q3RB5TNVWPM4GBYP
– 6 1/2 cups of water. On the package, they say that you should use 12 cups of water per package. However, I reduced the amount of water by half because I wanted to have a firm texture. The amount of water you add depends on how firm you want. The more water you add, the softer you cake is.
– 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
– For vegan version: substitute water and condensed milk with 6 1/2 cups of soy milk. You can also use coconut milk (remember to dilute it with water because coconut milk is very thick), but I do not like coconut milk. I just do not like it.
– Fresh fruits. Here I used blueberries and raspberries because they were on sale (˵¯̴͒ꇴ¯̴͒˵)
– Pour the agar into a small bowl and add a little bit of water to the agar, just enough to make the agar wet. Let it soak for 10 minutes to soften the agar.
– Boil all the water.
– Add the condensed milk to the boiling water and stir well with medium heat until the condensed milk is completely dissolved.
– Add the agar to the milk and bring the mixture to boil with high heat. Stir well until the agar dissolves. Lower the heat to the lowest level.
– Pour the mixture into mold. You can use any mold, or even bowl. Let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator. While you are pouring, remember to keep the mixture warm by keeping it on the stove with lowest heat or it will become solid very fast. If it becomes solid, you just need to reheat it again and it will melting.
You may be curious why I let it cool down first before I put it in the refrigerator. Actually, cooling it down outside then putting it in the refrigerator will help you save the electric (｡•̀ᴗ-)✧
– When the cake becomes solid, take it out and serve with fruits.
This dish is best when served cold.
Ta-da! Super-easy-to-make cake but still delicious >.^ Add this dessert to your family’s meal and I am sure they will love it (and love you too)
Thank you and see you next time ( ˘ ³˘)♥ (*＾▽＾)／