Recently, I have been craving for Japanese food. Unfortunately, there is no Japanese restaurants near me. I have no choice but to cook Japanese dishes to satisfy myself. Addition to that, my dad is having toothache, so I decided to make rolled egg, which is similar to Japanese tamagoyaki because I do not follow exactly the recipe for authentic tamagoyaki. However, I leveled up by adding vegetables to the recipe to make it more nutritious and delicious.
Let’s get started!
- 3 eggs
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup cubed carrots
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- a pinch of sugar
Note: In my recipe, I added carrots and green onions, but you can add anything you like, such as sausage, onions,…
- Beat 3 eggs and sift to remove the egg white. This will make your rolled egg look smooth. If you don’t want to sift, you can keep the egg white. It doesn’t affect at all.
- Add cubed carrots, chopped green onions and fish sauce to the eggs and mix well.
- Heat up the pan and lower the heat to medium heat so that it doesn’t burn your rolled egg while you’re rolling it.
- Add some oil to the pan. Use the paper towel to wipe out all excess oil. Otherwise, you may scramble you egg.
- Pour a little amount of the egg mixture into the pan, just enough to cover the pan. If it’s too thick, it’s difficult to roll the egg.
- Wait until the side below is cooked then roll your egg to one side of the pan.
- Use paper towel to wipe the rest of the pan with oil.
- Pour the mixture.
- Roll the rolled egg.
- Repeat until the mixture is finished.
- Cut the rolled egg into rolls.
Note: When you roll your egg, try to roll it tightly so that it will look beautiful. You also should wait for your egg to be partially cooked before you roll so that all the layers will stick together.
This dish is best when served hot.
Ta-da! Rolled egg with vegetables is done. Some of you may say that this is not authentically Japanese. Yes, I agree. I copied the original recipe and made it my way, because I found it was too complicated for me with mirin, soy sauce,…blah blah blah. I don’t want to buy all the needed seasonings when I knew I only used them for once. I improvised and the result was better than I had expected. I hope you will try my recipe and let me know what you think about this. Just play around by adding or omitting stuffs and make a perfect dish for your family.
Ciao! See you next time!