In the Mango Shake post, I introduced to you shrimp salt, a delicious seasoning I used in the recipe. This shrimp salt can be used in a lot of recipes. It can also be used as a dipping sauce for fresh fruits, especially sour fruits, such as mango, pineapple…Just dip the fruits with the salt and WOW! Today, I will show you how to make shrimp salt so that you can make a big amount of it, store it in a cool place and have it ready whenever you need it.
Let’s get started!
- 1 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp (you can find dried shrimp in most of Asian supermarkets)
- Chili powder (you can use any chili powder you like: Korean pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, paprika…. The amount of chili powder depends on how spicy you want your salt is. I would recommend 1/2 tbsp. If you can’t eat spicy food, you can skip this part.)
- 2 tsp of fish sauce
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- Wash the dried shrimp then soak it in hot water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and let the shrimp dry.
- Add the fish sauce and the black pepper to the shrimp and marinate for 30 minutes
- Put the marinated shrimp into a food processor to grind the shrimp until it becomes powder.
- Put the ground shrimp, salt, chili powder, sugar to a pan and stir the mixture with high heat until the mixture is completely dry. Remember to stir it continuously or it will burn. You can try to dry the mixture using oven by adjusting to the lowest temperature for 30 minutes. Since I’ve never tried this way, I would recommend you to dry the salt for 30 minutes first to see how it goes. If it’s still damp, then add 30 more minutes.
- Let the shrimp salt cool and store it in cool place.
- The shrimp salt is best in 1-2 months but it doesn’t have an expired date. If you store it in an airtight container, it still tastes best even after 2 months.
Now you have a new seasoning for your dishes. You can use it to mix with salads, or simply just dip you fresh fruits into the shrimp salt. You will see that your fruits taste better than ever.
Thank you for stopping by and see you next time!
Have a nice day!