Salted eggs are popular Chinese food. We can make a lot of dishes with salted eggs. The simplest way to eat salted eggs is boiled them and eat with plain congee as a side dish. I usually buy them from my local supermarket for $3 for 6 salted duck eggs. Last week, I found fresh chicken eggs were on sale so I decided to make salted eggs instead of buying them from the supermarket. The recipe is super simple and you can follow it easily.
- 20 chicken eggs
- 2 cups table salt
- 6 1/2 cups of water
- Wash the eggs carefully and wipe them with paper towels
- Put the eggs into a glass jar and try not to break them, NOT even a crack. NOTE: you should use a glass jar or ceramic, NOT a plastic jar.
- Boil the water and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.
- Let the brine cool down completely.
- Pour the brine into the jar.
- Make sure the eggs are completely covered in the brine. You can press the eggs down by putting a water bag (put water into a bag and tie the bag) over the eggs.
- Cover the jar with its lid. If your jar does not have lid, you can cover it with plastic wrap.
- Let the eggs sit for 4 weeks and they are ready to use.
4 weeks later, you will have delicious salted chicken eggs that you can eat with plain congee or use it for other dishes. I will try to make some dishes using salted eggs and post the recipes here.
Time to stop and enjoy my salted eggs (they are calling me!).
Thank you for stopping by and see you next time!